Original Flash Movie
Movie size : 417 KB
I enjoyed doing a complete project in Flash 8. This project has taught me various new things in Flash. I wanted to give my friends on the course a glimpse of the place where I live hence decided to do this project. I am happy to provide additional information if anyone is interested.
I had to plan carefully on how I would accomplish this project. Once I decided on what I am doing I wrote on paper what exactly I am going to do. The screen size of the movie, the text that I will add, images and their size, the sound that I am going to use all these things had to be carefully planned keeping the target size 1 MB in mind.
This was a very comprehensive project that took lot of my time. After finishing this project I am more confident in creating a complete project. I feel using flash we can do anything. We can achieve any type of interactivity at the same time keeping the file size to a very minimum.
Ideas and skills gained from completing it
I learnt various new things from this activity. I learnt how to creat my own buttons & give them a rollover effect. I have learnt that we can add images or text to the buttons and create the desired interactivity custom made for our needs. I have also learnt that we can create a single button and use it repeatedly. Every instance of a button will be treated independently throughout the interactive movie.
I have learnt how to attach an action script to a button. In my movie I have used
I have used the nonlinear timeline control to move between frames with commands such as gotoAndPlay () and also to stop the looping movie using a stop command.
I have learnt how to do masking to show a portion of the movie through a hole. I really had fun doing it. By animating the mask desired effect could be achieved.
I have used motion tweening on the texts that is displayed in my project.
I had fun in completing the contacts page of my project as I have created a completely different effect. I wanted to create something different hence I placed each letter of my name on a new layer, converted them to symbols and used motion tweening to disperse them around and bring them back to a place.
I have also learnt how to add video to a flash file. My movie was playing automatically in the swf file hence I changed it’s settings from Parameters “autoplay to off”. I tried to compress the video as much as possible but compressing it further would reduce the quality of the video. My video was 4.7 MB. The final flash swf movie was 128 KB. It was amazing how the final swf file reduced the file size.
My movie was working fine on the local machine, but when I published the movie to the webserver the video didn't work. Tried to fix the problem, looked for help on google and they said it's something to do with MIME settings but was running out of time hence had to delete the video from my flash movie. Planning to explore further on this topic.
Publishing the file was another issue that I had to sort out. When I inserted my flash movie it was just playing my first movie. It wasn’t loading my next movies as I have used multiple movies in my project. But later I discovered files were not getting refreshed on the server.
I have gained confidence after completing this course and I'm looking forward to exploring the software further and create interactive material easily for my students here.
I have used various images, video, audio in this project.
These are the websites that I have used images from
Camel picture from
Picasa web Albums & Wikepedia
The music that I have used in this activity are from one of my personal bank of CD's called Web Clip Empire from Xoom.com that I had purchased in 1998. I have used clips from this CD.